By no means am I advocating the consumption of fast food. Even the good stuff is still bad for you. They use poor quality (regardless of what they say) foods that contain GMOs and are typically extremely high in sodium.
However…we have all been in situations where we are hungry and there are no other choices. Below you’ll find 5 fast food restaurants that are top ten sellers (gross sales from 2013) and what I would choose
if I found myself in a situation where I was starving and there were no other choices. My choices are based on protein, sodium and carbohydrate counts. Carbohydrates can turn right into fat if you consume too many which is why it was one of my main components for this post. Protein is filling and takes your body a long time to burn through which makes you less likely of getting hungry again before your next meal.
1) McDonalds – This is the top grossing fast food joint in the United States. McDonald’s has adjusted nicely to the market demands of healthier choices. They offer a couple of different salads and can make burgers or sandwiches into wraps. My choice would be the Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken. It is packed with protein (30g), has some vegetables (better than none), and is low in carbohydrates (9g).
2) Taco Bell – This is an easy one for me. Taco Bell has developed as special “Fresco” menu for those looking for healthier choices. Generally, anything on this menu is healthier than its non-fresco cousin. My pick would be a couple of Fresco Grilled Steak Soft Tacos. It has a low amount of carbohydrate (16) relative to the amount of protein (12g).
3) Subway – Thanks to Jared, Subway was the second-most grossing fast food brand in 2013. They are known for having “healthy” choices. This being said, it is very easy to make a Subway sandwich very unhealthy. Usually, if you load it up with as many vegetables as possible it will end up being a good choice. My choice would be the Double Chicken Chopped Salad. It comes in with 36 grams of protein and just 4 grams of carbohydrate. This would be my number one pick out of anything on this list.
4) Wendy’s – Wendy’s has done a really great job adjusting to the healthy fast food demand as well. They have a great line of salads that are good choices when in a hurry. My pick would be the Chicken BLT Cobb salad. It has a whopping 45 grams of protein with only 14 grams of carbohydrate.
5) Burger King – Burger King made themselves famous by their original “have it your way” slogan. They have fewer healthy choices but it is possible to “have it your way” if you are trying to make better food choices. My pick is the Chicken, Apple & Cranberry Garden Fresh Salad. It has 28 grams of protein and 34 grams of carbohydrate.
All of this being said, I sometimes choose intermittent fasting if I don’t have any healthy options. Depending on your health, it may not be safefor you to fast. Make sure to check with your doctor before trying anything new. Good luck out there and I hope these tips help you make tomorrow healthier than today!